The End of the Beginning


Once again in full-blooded combat with the research proposal, in order to hit my supervisors’ deadline of submitting them a revised version today.  Self imposed deadline though is noon – as I want to give them maximum time to look and it and get back to me with (hopefully) final comments for changes as quickly as possible.  I also know that if I spend too much more time without running past them I could bugger it up a bit too much – the itch that is there to tweak it, tweak it a bit more, and then tweak it again are all too common right now.

[Later] As I promised myself I had a version ready to go…just before 1pm.  Okay, so much for hitting noon, but as I got to the end I started getting the fear once again that the whole thing was rubbish.  It’s a regular feeling, and you would have thought I’d be used to dealing with this kind of self-doubt by now, but no.  As it was I decided that any more work on it would probably be to the detriment of getting it out the door to my supervisors.  That done, I spent the afternoon writing a couple of conference applications.  One of these I’ve been putting off for a while (as normal), so I tackled the new one first.  Only a few hundred words on my research and a few hundred more on why I should be allowed to attend the conference.  Seemed easy enough and I found it was actually fairly easy to write something that (mostly) made sense about my work.

Having sent that one in I turned to the second one.  I’d been struggling to cut down my research proposal into 500 words for this one, and in the end it was easier to take the best bits of the even shorter one I’d just written and flesh them out.  There’s a slight change in tone and coverage, so as to better fit the theme of the different conference but in essence they’re both me talking about my current research (or at least the embryonic version of it).  Full-blown academics reading this are probably chuckling, given that I suspect they may just rewrite the same bit of research for umpteen conferences* – so perhaps this is my first time discovering the pleasure of not having to write something from scratch!

Komrade KluckI also noticed that increasingly I’m starting work at 9, and working through to 6pm without too much of a problem.  I used to hate working past 5pm in my office job, but then there were other issues there; not least of which everyone else** leaving at 5pm and perceptions of being a brown-nose/workaholic if you stayed later.  Working from home as I do most of the time, I really relish the chance to just keep slogging on until the clock reaches 6pm.  Some days I don’t make it as Mrs Llama comes home and rather wreaks my concentration.  However, given that we’re likely to be spending more time apart due to her new job that probably means I’ll have more time to work and fewer distractions.  I’d love to say I’m looking forward to that, but I confess I’m going to seriously miss the company; given how few people I ever see during the day.  Today the only “people” I’ve spoken to have been the chickens, and they weren’t very interested in knowledge commodification and Marxist thought at all.  Bloody bourgeois birds…

*Feel free to call me a liar in the comments section!
**Who counted


Busy, busy, busy, busy.  Kicked off the day finishing off my conference paper proposal and getting that submitted, which took a goodly chunk of the morning   Then logged on to my email to discover not only had my supervisors read my research proposal; they’d given me comments and a deadline of 1pm today for revisions.  Cue a frantic couple of hours doing as much work as I could on it.  Having just passed 1pm and submitted it to them, I’m now pending what I hope will be their final email comments before our meeting on Thursday to trim any final issues and hopefully submit it shortly afterwards.  After weeks (months) of careful preparation and thought, it suddenly all feels a bit frantic.  But at the same time, quite exhilarating.

Best edit comment – to remove the word “revelations” from my potential outputs as being a bit OTT.  Heh.

[Later] And indeed just a few comments there have been.   So with luck a few final edits, not to mention a proofread, I am now close to being done with phase one of the PhD.  Of course once I’ve submitted this I’ve the 90 minute oral defence of the proposal to go through with my internal examiner, and then a committee review.  But all the same it suddenly feels like the culmination of the first 6 months (almost) of work.

I also got confirmation of my place on a workshop next week on project managing your PhD.  Having been a project manager for real, I thought it would be a useful spot of refresher training.  As part of the prep I have to be prepared to discuss what my PhD is in “50 words” (not quite my screenwriters norm of 25 words or less).  I was wondering if they might let me dance it instead…


Finally feedback received, and it is literally down to just a couple of phrases here and there.  So I ended up totally procrastinating and not doing anything constructive all morning (whoops!).  Didn’t mean to waste the day, but I guess it’s good to kick back and relax once in a while.  Afternoon was spent in classes on making an academic poster (AKA colouring and drawing) and a session on reflexivity and relativism.  I should have been more into the latter than I was, but I found it a bit heavy going.  Interesting, and I’ll be reading a bit around the edges of it, but not totally engaging.  The poster session on the other hand, once it got past the arty-farty history of the poster and typefonts (yawn) was quite good.  Came up with a half dozen sketches for a poster, one of which the tutor seemed quite taken with.  So think I’ll be using that one, thank you.


Forms, Forms and FormsMade the final edits, then went in to Uni to format them into Word and then print them out.  Yes, in this paperless age where all my coursework and PhD thesis itself will be electronic only, all the forms I have to use to mark my progress have to be physically signed.  Multiple times, as I discovered after trying to hand them in.  Visiting the Graduate School Offices for the first time was a bit like visiting The Central Bureaucracy in Futurama.  The first person I met there couldn’t have been less helpful with a “I can’t accept it, it needs more signatures” as her only mantra.  As it turned out my supervisors also needed to tick some boxes too, but that wasn’t highlighted until I came back a second time, after hunting both my supervisors down once again in their offices.

Thankfully the duty officer had changed to someone with a PMA and a can-do attitude (which to be honest, has been my normal experience of the GS!) and she took it on her to badger my supervisors over the phone to sort out the last details.  What is laughable is that this is just the 6 monthly monitoring form.  My big, serious, research proposal went in without a comment.  Bit of an anticlimax there.

The question of course is, now what? I’ve kinda been given Easter to think about what to do, though my supervisors and I talked through some ideas I’d had.  I think post the break I’ll be looking to talk to some folks in universities about open access (academics, repository people) and perhaps in the publishing side of things too, just to get a lie of the land.  If anyone reading this is interested in finding out more, drop me a comment.  Although I will be rattling my networks of contacts as well; as I’m sure there are a fair few folks out there who’d like to talk to me…I hope!


This sums up my day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s